Our program specializes in the diagnosis and management of focal, progressive, cognitive impairment. In particular, we see individuals whose worsening problems in the areas of memory, social skills, spatial perception, judgment and reasoning, word-finding, etc. began before the age of sixty-five.
Areas of Clinical Focus:
- Early onset dementias (Impairment in two or more areas of cognition beginning before 65 years of age)
- Frontotemporal Dementia / Frontotemporal Degeneration
- Early-onset or atypical Alzheimer's disease
- Semantic Dementia
- Progressive Aphasia (language impairment)
- Rare, unusual, or focal cognitive disorders
- Movement disorders with cognitive impairment (e.g. CBD)
In addition, Dr. Mario Mendez is a globally-recognized expert on frontotemporal lobar degeneration disorders, especially the behavioral variant, often referred to simply as FTD.
The UCLA Behavioral Neurology Program includes diagnostic evaluations, consultation regarding pharmacological and behavioral management, and research projects aimed at increasing knowledge about focal and young onset neurodegenerative disorders.
For Referrals, please contact UCLA Physician Referral Service at (310) 825-2631 or fax (310) 301-5391.